In the era of information technology we cannot think about our existence without internet. From a school going child to a researcher everyone requires quick information to do their work. Internet is the best platform to collect required information quickly and easily. Needless to say that online competency is highly deserved.
Providing correct and relevant information to the online visitors is utmost important tasks to all online players. To provide relevant information you should know your business first. What product you are going to sell or what services you are going to render. Then define your business in one or two words. These words or phrases are main keywords or key phrases for your sites. These words will be searched by your probable visitors to reach the product they want or the product you are selling. For example say your site is dealing with dresses, cloths, necessities for women. You may like to define your business, which sell women accessories. So here you can consider ‘women accessories’ as your main keywords for your online business.
Now search for your keywords, see which sites are coming top in the SERPs. Those sites are your competitor sites. Analyze those sites. Which keywords they have opted, how informative they are as per their chosen keywords, how is their navigational structure, what is their anchor text. How popular they are in the world of web. Who are their online partners? Besides these try to know their USP. Know their product/service specialization and product/service specifications. Once you have this information now create your own USP. Be creative and try to provide something very unique to your customer. Now it’s the time to do some homework. Let’s follow the following steps:
- Select Keywords: Selecting right keywords is the main mantra of online business. Choosing right keywords for your site or for your online business should be done first. Many free tools are available for choosing relevant keywords but those tools provide basic ideas or guidelines to select keywords. However to reach your customer you need to dig deep into these process. To start with the process first I will prefer to opt for synonymous keyword search, which is also known as “Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI)”.
Always have synonymous key phrases which will help you during algorithm updates of major search engine. Tweak your keywords when required. Have country specific keywords. Different countries are having different expressions, terminology and spellings. For example if you are an India based company, selling women accessories, it would be preferable to have phrases like “Accessories for Indian Women”. Don’t forget to check your site position to Google.co.in or anything like that. Last but not the least has page specific keywords.
- Choose your domain name: After all you are known by your name. When people talk about you, think about you they do take your name. Similarly when people will think about your site they will think of it by your site name. So if the site name is the site URL then it would be easier for your visitors to reach your site easily. As your site is dealing with “women accessories”, so it would be better to have your site URL as womenaccessories.com instead of mybusiness.com or anything like that.
- Plan a sitemap: Simplest form of your website. Sitemap will provide you the bird view of your whole business. Later on upload this page as sitemap page for your website.
- Gather information: Collect information regarding the country wise legal issues related to online business.
- Prepare Content: Provide information which is absolutely relevant to the user query. You might be a good writer but visitor might not have much time to read the whole article. So don’t make them bore with unnecessary text or heavy words. Be precise and informative.
- Design Pages: Guide your visitor for what they are searching and direct them towards what you ultimately want them to do. Little bold text may be the whole story about your site.
- Host your site in a dedicated server: Ask your host to provide a dedicated IP. Dedicated IP denotes that IP is for your site. That is all alone assigned for a specific site. Many shared server do carry related sites, which may not be considered good in eyes of search engines.
Now you are alive in the world of web.